HR Connection - Human Resources at Ohio State
About HR Connection
Ohio State’s shared services operation, HR Connection, includes three core Services Teams – Customer Solutions, Talent Services and Total Rewards. This team is co-located and focused on providing transactional and execution based activities to customers across the organization and for the functional areas within each of the Centers of Expertise.
HR Connection provides high quality service dedicated to timely results and continuous improvement while cultivating a culture of service and respect for the Buckeye community. While payroll resides in Business and Finance, customers should contact HR Connection as their first point of contact and will be routed to Payroll Services for inquiries that need payroll expertise.
HR Connection hit an important milestone on September 9, 2019 when the HRSD Pilot Partners – HR colleagues from the College of Arts and Sciences, Office of Student Life and Office of Business and Finance – moved to the Human Resources location at South Campus Gateway. Another significant milestone occurred on September 21, 2020 with availability of additional services through HR Connection.
HR Connection Teams
- Customer Solutions Team: Serves as the initial point of contact for employee inquiries and transaction processing including executing transactions on behalf of employees and responding to general employee requests.
- Talent Services Team: Focuses on talent inquiries that have been escalated from the Customer Solutions Services Team and executes performance management reporting, background check, global services and onboarding activities.
- Total Rewards Team: Focuses on total rewards (i.e. Benefits and Compensation) inquiries that have been escalated from the Customer Solutions Services Team and supports employees through the retirement process, assists with health and wellness related inquiries where employee self-service is not available and processes leaves of absence requests.
Access to HR and Payroll Services
There are multiple available channels for contacting HR Connection. HR Connection can be accessed using Compass, the HR Connection Portal (hrconnection.osu.edu), via email (HRConnection@osu.edu), and by phone (614-247-myHR). Additionally, U.S. and campus mail and walk-up service at Gateway are available.
The HR Connection Portal is available 24/7 and hours of operation for phone and email response are 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Non-active employees and vendors may contact HR Connection via email and by phone.
Learn more about the many ways employees can communicate about and get support for their HR and payroll needs here.
HR Case Management
The HR case management and knowledge base tool, ServiceNow, allows HR to provide timely management of HR service requests and insights into volume and service performance data. ServiceNow enables managing and tracking employee service requests and provides a knowledge base for employees, managers and HR professionals.
HR case management is aligned with Workday, however, ServiceNow and Workday are two distinct technologies. ServiceNow is the system of action for services, while Workday is the system of record for HR and payroll employee data and transactions. ServiceNow will provide increased visibility into the status of HR inquiries and requests and allow for the delivery of a consistent, employee centric experience. Implementation began in early summer 2019 and concluded by integrating with Workday in January 2021.
What Services are Offered?
The Service Catalog is a catalog of high-level services provided. It provides information on what each service is, who is responsible, and where an individual can get support for a service. Please note that not all services will be accessible by all employees depending on security access. Below is the External Catalog View of the Service Catalog.
- Accident Report
- Biometric Screening
- Employment Verification
- Family and Medical Leave Act
- General Benefits Inquiry
- General Leave Inquiry
- Life Insurance
- Request for Change of Record
- Retirees Reemployment
- Supplemental Retirement (SRA)
- Wellness Incentive Programs
- Wellness Portal
- Workers’ Compensation
- Workplace Accommodation
- Compensation Inquiry
- Employee Recognition Program
- Job Evaluation/ Reclassification
- Other Compensation Program
- Pay Adjustment
- Salary Quote
Employee and Labor Relations (ELR)
- Alternative Arrangement – Nepotism
- Corrective Action
- General ELR Consulting Inquiry
- Probation (Removal/ Demotion)
- Reasonable Suspicion Drug Testing
- Reduction in Force
- Vacation Donation Extension
- Employment Verification Request
- General Inquiry
- Prior Certification Form (Retirement Certification Form)
- Resignation Request
- Service Dates
- Direct Deposit/ Pay Card
- Incorrect Pay
- Leave of Absence
- Manage Foreign Nationals
- Payroll Inquiry
- Tax and Gifts
- Tax Form Inquiry
- Time Keeping
- Time Off Accrual
- Data Analytics Inquiry
- Data Request
- Data Stewardship and Access Approval
- Data Warehouse and Data Mart
- Green Action
- HCM – PeopleSoft
- HR Application Access
- HR Application Maintenance
- HRIS Inquiry
- Manage Service Catalog
- P3 (WMC Performance Management)
- PCS (WMC Position Control)
- Project Intake
- Reports and Dashboards
- WMC Recruiting
- General Recruiting Inquiry
- Globalization/ Immigration Inquiry
- Non-Employee Population Inquiry
- Recruiting Advertising Inquiry
- Recruitment Consultation
- Career Development/ Professional Development
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Leader/ Manager Coaching
- Leadership Development
- Staff Grants
- Team Effectiveness