Leader and Manager Coaching
A professional coach can change your life – and not just your work life. They can help you become more self-aware, work through problems that may be holding you back, and expand your leadership capacity for larger roles. Coaching can benefit the organization as well by increasing a leaders’ ability to motivate and engage their teams to achieve results together.
Ohio State, through the Human Resources Coaching Services Program, offers several options for professional coaching and works with you and your leader to set up the engagement. Your role and the organization’s needs determine which type of engagement is right for you.
The most common reasons leaders seek coaching for themselves or leaders they support:
- Adapting to a larger role
- Adapting to the pace or culture of the university
- Developing a more strategic focus and setting priorities
- Implementing change
- Developing effective communication, decision making, or conflict tools
- Becoming more aware and flexible in their style
- Building capacity for larger roles
- Increasing confidence and leadership presence
- Supporting leader in a challenging time or role
- Retaining leaders
- Fulfilling commitment to coaching that is in a leader’s contract
Coaching engagements are highly customized to meet the needs of the college or unit and the people leader (coaching recipient). The leader works with an ICF-certified executive coach with deep expertise in addressing complex challenges and navigating academic or healthcare settings.
Coaching engagements include these customized components:
- Intake interview
- Coach matching, sometimes with a specialized coach
- Development plan (to ensure alignment on objectives and expected outcomes or impact)
- Coaching summary report
- Assessments (depending on the engagement)
The more complex and robust engagements will require greater financial investment from the unit or college.
For more information or to start a professional coaching engagement, contact the Organizational and Leadership Effectiveness team at email@example.com.