Background Checks and Fingerprinting - Human Resources at Ohio State
Background Checks and Fingerprinting
- November 23 – Open from 9-11 a.m. and 1-3 p.m.; Early afternoon closure
- December 16 – Open from 9-11 a.m.; Closed for the afternoon
- December 22 – Open from 9-11 a.m. & 1-3 p.m.; Early afternoon closure
- December 30 – Open from 9-11 a.m. & 1-3 p.m.; Early afternoon closure
The Office of Human Resources (OHR) coordinates background checks and fingerprinting for the Ohio State academic community. Individuals obtaining a background check for Wexner Medical Center purposes should call the Medical Center ID Processing Office at (614) 293-4452 for background check and fingerprinting services.
The Background Check and Fingerprinting team administer the background check program and maintain the university’s Background Check Policy. Background checks and fingerprinting services are provided for official university business only. Certified copies of results can be obtained as early as 1-3 business days, but in some cases will take up to 30-60 days to receive results. The Ohio Attorney General’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation does not expedite any background checks.
For individuals seeking fingerprinting services that are not considered university business, please visit the Ohio Attorney General’s website. Below is information that will help you during the fingerprinting process. Select the title of the category for more information.
Examples of when to seek fingerprinting services include:
- During the Ohio State hiring process
- Participating in university programs that require a background check, including but not limited to Education, Nursing, Speech and Hearing, Psychology, Social Work, Learning Center and Work Study
- Seeking a background check related to the university’s Activities and Programs with Minor Participants policy
- Seeking a background check as part of your involvement in Ohio State’s Child Care Program
Fingerprinting services are available Tuesday through Friday, 9-11 a.m. and 1-4 p.m. Fingerprinting services are not available on Mondays. General fingerprinting services are provided on a walk-in basis only. Ink fingerprint cards, if required, are completed by appointment only.
To complete your background check, you will need to bring all of the following items:
- Government issued photo ID. BuckID is not government issued and cannot be accepted as a form of identification.
- Your Social Security number. Social Security card is not required; only your Social Security number.
- Fingerprint Consent/WebCheck form and any specific information your hiring unit or program gave you.
- Reason for seeking fingerprinting services (for example, as part of the Ohio State hiring process)
- Payment for the services, if required to pay for your own fingerprint. See the Payment Options section for more information.
- International job applicants who do not have a Social Security number must provide a passport with current visa.
Costs for background checks and fingerprinting include:
- BCI&I Webcheck (Ohio): $37.70
- FBI Webcheck (National): $39.70
- BCI&I & FBI Combined: $61.70
- Ink fingerprinting services: $10 (by appointment only). Note: OHR cannot complete ink fingerprints that require completion by a law enforcement agency.
OHR accepts all major credit/debit card, BuckID, money order, eRequest (university offices) and personal checks. Personal checks must be in your name, otherwise the owner of the personal check will need to be present with photo ID to authorize the transaction. OHR does not accept cash.
If you had your BCI&I Webcheck (Ohio) and/or FBI Webcheck (National) fingerprinting completed at the Office of Human Resources or had your BCI&I Webcheck (Ohio) and/or FBI Webcheck (National) fingerprinting results mailed to the Office of Human Resources, you may pick up one copy of your results. Copies are available for fingerprints completed within the past year.
Copies can be picked up by returning to our office during fingerprinting hours with a government issued photo ID. BuckID is not government issued and cannot be accepted as a form of identification.
Copies cannot be sent electronically. Copies can only be released to the individual who was fingerprinted. We are not able to disseminate copies to any third party.
Fingerprinting services are conducted at Ohio State’s Office of Human Resources, located in the South Campus Gateway Building C, Suite 300 at 1590 North High Street, Columbus, OH 43201. Our building is at the corner of E. 11th Avenue and N. High Street next to Barnes & Noble. (View the Columbus campus map)
Enter the building through the main door (facing North High Street). Inform the security desk that you are here for fingerprinting. You will be required to show ID to continue upstairs. Take the elevator to the third floor and enter Suite 300. You may go straight to the cubicle in the back corner without informing the receptionist at the front desk.
- From Central Campus: Take North High Street south. To park in the South Campus Gateway garage, turn left onto East 11th Avenue.
- From North Columbus: Take I-71 South to East 11th Avenue. Turn right/west onto East 11th Avenue. The South Campus Gateway Garage will be on your left just before North High Street.
- From South Columbus: Take I-71 North to East 11th Avenue. Turn left/east onto East 11th Avenue. The South Campus Gateway Garage will be on your left just before North High Street.
- Visitor parking is available in the South Campus Gateway parking garage located directly behind the Gateway buildings. It is accessible from either East 11th Avenue or East 9th Avenue. The Gateway Parking Garage accepts any Ohio State Garage parking pass, or you can use cash or credit cards at the Pay-and-Display machine.
- B Parking Pass parking lots are located across North High Street behind the Aveda School.
- A limited number of metered parking spaces are available along North High Street and West 11th Avenue (next to Panera).
- Limited free street parking is available on 11th Avenue east of North High Street.