Ohio State recognizes the importance of supporting faculty and staff as they balance career, personal and family life, and provides paid leaves to support employees’ needs.
To provide greater equity amongst Ohio State faculty and staff, the Paid Leave Programs policy has been revised on an interim basis, including changes to parental leave eligibility and vacation accrual for post-doctoral researchers and associated faculty. The revised interim policy includes the following changes:
- Eligible faculty and staff may receive parental leave immediately upon hire. The required one-year of employment service (and obtaining at least 1,560 hours of active pay status) to be eligible for parental leave has been eliminated.
- Term employees (including post-doctoral researchers) of at least 75 percent FTE are now eligible for parental leave.
- Post-doctoral researchers will earn vacation leave in accordance with the accrual schedule.
- Twelve-month associated faculty will earn vacation at the same accrual rate as 12-month regular faculty.
- Term appointments that are eligible to accrue sick leave are now eligible for vacation donation.
These changes are effective October 1, 2018. Please review the Paid Leave Programs policy for all of the revisions. These changes do not alter the federal requirement for determining FMLA eligibility. To be eligible for FMLA protected leave at the time the leave commences, employees must meet the requirement of one year of service and 1,250 hours worked. Employees determined ineligible under FMLA are not precluded from receiving paid parental leave benefits.
The interim policy is currently following the university review process and will be fully revised over the next year. The review will include consideration of any process changes that may be needed as part of the university-wide enterprise project. Faculty and staff will have the opportunity to provide feedback on the policy, and more information will be shared as the policy is revised.
If you have questions, contact the Employee and Labor Relations team at firstname.lastname@example.org.