With winter upon us, it’s important to be aware of the university’s weather-related resources and policy, and know how to check the university’s status.
Although Ohio State strives to remain open, extreme conditions during the winter can warrant the usage of the university’s Weather or Other Short-Term Closing Policy. Faculty and staff can prepare for instances when it is necessary to cancel classes and/or close offices or clinics by reviewing this policy and taking note of the university’s resources.
The Weather or Short-Term Closing Policy does not apply to Ohio State Wexner Medical Center employees. The hospitals are always open; therefore, Health System employees are considered essential and should contact their human resource department for more information.
Here are ways to prepare for potential closings and check the status of the university:
- Register for Buckeye Alerts, the university’s emergency notification system.
- Review the university’s Weather or Other Short-Term Closing Policy.
- Visit osu.edu, the Department of Public Safety campus status website or call 614-247-7777 for information on university closings.
- Check your Ohio State email address.
- Listen to WOSU 89.7 FM, the official media outlet for weather cancellations.
- Read Transportation and Traffic Management’s winter weather reminders and travel tips.
- Contact additional resources such as:
- Transportation and Traffic Management at 614-292-7433 for the current status of campus bus services.
- Service2Facilities at 614-292-4357 to notify the university about issues regarding campus buildings or facilities.
- Department of Public Safety at 614-292-2121 to report unsafe conditions due to ice or snow on campus.
- CampusParc at 614-688-0000 for information about parking and to report potholes/weather-related damage in garages and surface lots.