Earlier this month, the annual State of Health and Wellness in Buckeye Nation address (watch video of event) highlighted the impact wellness initiatives are contributing to faculty and staff health outcomes.
The progress Ohio State has made towards the university’s health and wellness goals was shared by Bernadette Melnyk, PhD, RN, CPNP/PMHNP, vice president for Health Promotion and university chief wellness officer.
Faculty and staff engagement in wellness activities continues to increase year over year as wellness becomes rooted in Ohio State’s culture.
Recent data confirms that when participants are more engaged in health and wellness activities they experience greater outcomes, especially in areas of healthy weight, exercise and fitness, and nutrition. Additionally, the majority of participants in Your Plan for Health (YP4H), Ohio State’s employee wellness program, are decreasing their risks in most health categories.
“Wellness programs, policies, tools and resources are all a part of Ohio State’s commitment to support our faculty, staff and their families,” said Joanne McGoldrick, Office of Human Resources associate vice president, total rewards. “It’s important that we all do our part and encourage one another to participate.”
Ohio State’s wellness activities focus on all areas of well-being, including physical, mental and emotional. Here are several ways faculty and staff can get involved:
- Personal Health and Well-being Assessment (PHA): Being proactive and informed can have a positive impact on your overall well-being and help reduce your chances of preventable chronic diseases. Schedule a biometric screening to “Know Your Numbers” and then complete the PHA.
- Health Coaching: Health Coaches help faculty and staff set realistic goals and provide support and resources along the way. New this year, the first 1,000 people who qualify for health coaching and complete the program will earn a $50 Fitbit subsidy and 1,000 YP4H points.
- Employee Assistance Program: The program provides counseling resources to help faculty, staff and their families with concerns such as conflict resolution, stress management, and grief, as well as provides helpful resources and referrals for topics like financial and legal assistance.
- Educational Programming: The OSU Health Plan offers webinars on topics such as nutrition, fitness, cooking, stress-management, financial wellness and overall well-being.
- Buckeyes Band Together for Wellness: Educational modules on active living, healthy eating and emotional well-being help faculty and staff incorporate tools and strategies to live a healthier life.
- Your Plan for Health Challenges: As part of Ohio State’s employee wellness program, eligible individuals are awarded for completing health and well-being challenges. Participants enrolled in an Ohio State medical plan can earn Health Reimbursement Account credits to help pay for eligible health care expenses.