An enhanced I-9 database for the Ohio State human resources community will be implemented on August 16, 2016. The redesigned database will streamline the employment verification process, leading to improved efficiencies and user experience.
In short, the new database reduces the amount of information users input into the system, provides new mechanisms to improve data integrity and offers opportunities for expanded reporting and auditing capabilities.
Ohio State utilizes a custom-built I-9 database, operated by the Office of Human Resources, to coordinate employment eligibility verification (E-Verify) for university employees. The database captures information from each employee’s Form I-9 and submits the information to the federal government to ensure the employee is verified to work in the United States.
Beyond a new design and work flow, specific changes to the I-9 database include:
- Access is planned to be granted according to the new HR Roster, a database maintained by Senior HR Professionals that captures staff across the university who complete HR-related work.
- Users will be able to view employee profiles at the college/unit level, instead of the department level.
- Information requested in the new I-9 database will be streamlined to reflect only the information needed to be entered for each specific new employee—reducing the time needed for users to complete each entry.
- Users will be able to review a new entry before it is submitted to the federal government, which gives them the opportunity to fix issues and verify the integrity of the data.
- An additional step for users, as part of new federal government requirements, will be to close each entry after the employee has been verified to work in the United States.
Please note: The current I-9 database will be unavailable Monday, August 15, for implementation and testing of the new system. Users will need to plan accordingly for this temporary database outage.
Comprehensive training will be provided to all users through Carmen Connect sessions in August. Human resources and service center staff should plan to attend one of the following training webinars:
Questions? Please contact the Background Check team at email@example.com.