The Ohio State University and the University of Michigan went toe-to-toe in a battle of the fittest and after eight weeks of “healthy competition,” Ohio State faculty and staff have been declared this year’s Rivals Challenge champion.
The challenge encouraged participants to log more than 150 minutes of moderate physical activity each week, or about 20 minutes a day. Ohio State faculty and staff surpassed that goal. Participants averaged more than 40 daily minutes, which is nearly double the weekly goal and well above the recommendations.
The final tally had Ohio State averaging 42.92 minutes per day and Michigan averaging 35.84 minutes per day. Congratulations, Buckeyes!
“The Rivals Challenge was the biggest organized team wellness challenge in university history, and it was a great partnership between Ohio State and Michigan,” said Joanne McGoldrick, associate vice president of total rewards, Office of Human Resources. “I’m proud of our faculty and staff’s commitment to health and wellness. It was an exciting challenge with great camaraderie as we rallied together to beat ‘That School Up North.’”
Faculty and staff shared photos of their activity across the state and around the globe – from Rome to California, and throughout Ohio. Photos using #RivalsGoBucks showed participants getting active in a variety of ways, including running, biking, dancing and walking.
On July 8, a celebration event revealed Ohio State as the university winner, along with the grand prize winners who received tickets to the Ohio State versus Michigan football game. Also, the top colleges, VP units or Wexner Medical Center units were announced to receive wellness funds to put towards their initiatives to create a healthy workplace for faculty and staff.
- First Place Highest Average Total Minutes – Marion Campus (averaged 4,187.59 total minutes)
- Second Place Highest Average Total Minutes – College of Social Work (averaged 3,140.21 total minutes)
- Third Place Highest Average Total Minutes – College of Law (averaged 2,974.90 total minutes)
- Highest Average Participation – OSU Health Plan Inc (participation percentage of 58.1%)
- Walking Workstation Donated By Steelcase Raffle Winner – Office of Government Affairs