Unsafe or extreme conditions due to winter weather sometimes necessitate use of the university’s Weather or Other Short-Term Closing Policy. Although the university strives to remain open, there are occasions when it is necessary to cancel classes and/or close offices or clinics. This policy does not apply to Wexner Medical Center employees. Our hospitals never close, so all Health System and James employees are deemed essential.
Short-term closing (five days or less) may be applicable due to the following facility conditions: non-functioning heating, ventilation, utilities and/or other systems that could comprise safety and comfort of employees.
Colleges and business units should ensure all faculty, staff and student workers are notified annually of the short-term closing policy. Information to share with employees includes:
- WOSU 89.7 FM is the official media outlet for weather cancellations. Information will also be available at osu.edu and 247-7777.
- What to do if your unit cancels classes and clinics, or if they work in a building that has been closed due to a utility failure.
- Who to contact if faculty and staff are unsure about arriving to work.
- Remind faculty and staff it is their responsibility to know if they are classified as essential, alternate or standby, and the responsibilities associated with each designation.
- Short-term closure classifications are subject to change. Individuals classified as alternate or standby can be changed to essential and they can be required to work if necessary.
- Main phone lines should replace routine voice mail greetings with a closure message. This can be done from any touch tone telephone.
- A link to the university’s Weather or Other Short-Term Closing Policy.
Colleges and business units can access current employee designations through the BuckIQ system. Short-term and long-term closure status information can be found on the HRB330 – Employee Contact and Closure Info report. Click on the second tab “Short/Long Term Closure List”, select your criteria and run the report.
Contact Employee and Labor Relations at email@example.com or 614-292-2800 with any questions about the university’s Weather or Other Short-Term Closing Policy.