First Year - Human Resources at Ohio State
for managers of staff employees
Objective: Employee is fully engaged in new role – applies skills and knowledge, makes sound decisions, contributes to team goals, understands how their assignments affect others in the organization and develops effective working relationships. They understand Ohio State’s mission and culture. Employee continues to be engaged in their role and has gained greater confidence in position; begins to take on additional assignments and works with some level of autonomy.
Helpful Information by Topic
- Celebrate successes and recognize employee’s contributions.
- Continue providing regular informal feedback; provide formal feedback during the annual review process.
- Have a conversation with employee about their experience at Ohio State to date:
- Did employee’s expectations of role and Ohio State align with their experiences?
- Are employee’s skills and knowledge being utilized and what opportunities exist to better utilize them? What is working, and what needs adjustment?
- Begin discussing the year ahead.
- Support and encourage employee participation in a cross-functional/college/unit task force, institutional committee, or an employee resource group (e.g., USAC, ASFW, Young Professional Network, etc.).
- Solicit employee’s feedback and suggestions on ways to improve the onboarding experience. Do this one-on-one or with a small group of new employees.
- Discuss employee’s professional development goals and identify relevant learning opportunities.
- Encourage the employee to continue to learn and grow.
Gateway to Learning
Have the employee explore the following resources:
Have the employee consider signing up for learning opportunities in BuckeyeLearn including:
- Managing Up (online course)
- Unit/department specific courses