New Employee Orientation - Human Resources at Ohio State
A guide for new employees
New Employee Orientation
To introduce new Ohio State employees to the culture of Ohio State and set them up for success from their first day, all newly hired staff will attend a virtual orientation. Orientation will be offered every other Monday and create a consistent, unified first day experience across our five campus locations, Ohio State Wexner Medical Center and sites across the state.
Orientation will focus on Buckeye pride and inspire new employees to value how we consistently work together to build our legacy through collaboration, a strong sense of community and an unwavering commitment to excellence.
All new staff across the university and medical center will start on the same day and attend orientation in the morning, with medical center orientation starting at 8 a.m. and campus orientation starting at 9 a.m. Start dates and orientation will be aligned with the start of bi-weekly pay periods and will occur on the Monday of that pay period, although dates may be adjusted to account for university holidays.
Two virtual orientations will be held simultaneously every other Monday morning – one for campus employees and one for medical center employees.
Prior to starting, new employees will receive information on how to join the virtual orientation, as well as a packet of information about joining Ohio State.
New employee orientation, which will be a two-and-a-half-hour Monday morning Zoom session, will provide staff an opportunity to:
- learn more about Ohio State’s culture
- hear from our leaders, including President Johnson
- participate in a panel discussion with current employees with the opportunity to ask questions
- meet and have conversations with other new employees
- participate in diversity and inclusion conversations
- learn how to find resources related to compliance requirements, benefits and retirement offerings, parking, wayfinding, technology and safety
Below are upcoming staff start dates and orientation for the campus and Wexner Medical Center:
- February 1, 2021
- February 15, 2021
- March 1, 2021
- March 15, 2021
- March 29, 2021
- April 12, 2021
- April 26, 2021
- May 10, 2021
- May 24, 2021
- June 7, 2021
- June 21, 2021
- July 6, 2021
- July 19, 2021
- August 2, 2021
- August 16, 2021
- August 30, 2021
- September 13, 2021
- September 27, 2021
- October 11, 2021
- October 25, 2021
- November 8, 2021
- November 22, 2021
- December 6, 2021
All new faculty members will continue to be invited to New Faculty Orientation, hosted by the Office of Academic Affairs.
Prior to their start dates, new employees will receive information on how to join the virtual orientation, as well as a packet of information about joining Ohio State.
To ensure new employees have smooth transition into their new role, managers should:
- Have a welcome conversation with new employees to determine where employees should go to participate in the virtual orientation (either in the workplace or at home), as well as discuss the expectations after attending new employee orientation.
- Review the new employee’s welcome email, which each manager will also receive, that includes instructions on how to participate in the virtual orientation.
- Follow up with new employees at least once per week for the first 30 days to ensure completion of new employee items.
- Reach out to your HR Consultant if you have questions and/or need support.