First 6 Months - Human Resources at Ohio State
A guide for new employees
First 6 Months
After six months, we want you to have gained momentum in your role, started to take the lead on some initiatives and have built peer relationships. You should be confident and engaged in your new role while continuing to learn.
If you decided to remain in OPERS or STRS you have until your 180th day to select a plan within OPERS or STRS.
Life Insurance Beneficiaries
If you haven’t yet done so, complete beneficiary information for university-paid life insurance and additional voluntary group term life insurance (VGLTI) in Workday.
Explore Your Plan for Health (YP4H), Ohio State’s employee wellness program that provides tools and resources for living a healthy life, if you haven’t already done so.
[review the Benefits Overview for new hires]
- Engage in mid-year/six-month performance review.
- Review progress on performance goals and professional development goals.
- Visit Gateway to Learning to review performance management tools and resources.
- Attend or become involved in an activity outside of your work area.
- Attend an Ohio State event and meet new people.
- Meet with appropriate department area leaders either one-on-one or in a small group setting with other new employees.
- Meet with manager onboarding partner or mentor at the end of your structured onboarding/mentor-relationship. Discuss how things went and what else would be helpful in the future.
- Celebrate successes and recognition of your contributions.
- Engage in Ohio State community service initiatives (e.g. Campus Campaign, Pelotonia, Bucks for Charity, etc.) and seek out volunteer opportunities (e.g. move-in day).
- Continue to explore learning opportunities related to your role, skills or interests and identify ways to apply your learning.
- Find opportunities to learn though and with others (mentoring, feedback, etc.).
- On Gateway to Learning, review the Foster Positive Relationships and Build Resiliency resources.
- Consider enrolling in the following courses offered in BuckeyeLearn: