Name Change - Human Resources at Ohio State

Name Change

There are several things to consider if you change your name:

HR System
Complete the Request for Change of Record form and forward it Payroll. The change will automatically update your name in the HR System. If applicable, insurance providers are notified of the change, and a new medical card is generated.

University E-Mail
After you submit your name change to Payroll, the Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) automatically creates your new lastname.# and Ohio State email address (i.e. E-mail sent to either the old or the new lastname.# will continue to work. Contact OCIO at for more information.

Notify your department of your name change, and ask your department’s administrative representative how your department handles changes to business cards, departmental directories and name plates.

Social Security
Upon a change to your name, complete Form SS-5 and submit evidence of your identity to the Social Security Administration. You will be issued a new card containing your new name and the same number Social Security number as your old card. See the Social Security website for more information.