Leaving Ohio State - Human Resources at Ohio State

Leaving Ohio State

The following information will help you manage the transition when you leave the university. If you are retiring from Ohio State or one of the state retirement systems, please see Preparing to Retire.


University Medical, Dental and Vision Plans

University medical, dental, and vision coverage terminates on the last day of the pay period in which the termination date occurs.  Medical, dental, and vision coverage may be continued in accordance with COBRA, which in general allows for coverage continuation for 18 months beyond the termination date at the expense of the faculty or staff member.

Enroll in health insurance offered through the Health Insurance Marketplace (Marketplace), which may be more affordable than COBRA continuation coverage. You have 60 days to enroll in the Marketplace after your University health coverage ends. For more information about the Marketplace, visit HealthCare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

Your participation in an FSA will terminate on the date your employment with the university terminates. You may submit reimbursement requests for expenses that were incurred during your employment toward the balance in your FSA until the end of the plan year in which your employment terminates. You may choose to continue Health Care FSA participation on an after-tax basis. For information, contact TASC Customer Service at (855) FLEX-OSU (353-9678).

Life Insurance

Group term life insurance and voluntary group term life insurance coverage ends upon your termination from the university. You may be able to continue all or a portion of your insurance or convert to an individual policy.  If you wish to port or convert your coverage, you can apply directly to Minnesota Life.  You must apply and pay the first premium within 31 days after your Ohio State coverage ends.  For more information, contact Minnesota Life, an affiliate of Securian Financial, at (866) 293-6047.

Retirement Plan

The contributions you and Ohio State make to your university-sponsored retirement plans end upon your termination from the university. For information on your options relative to your retirement accounts following your separation from employment, please contact OPERS, STRS, or your provider.  See Distributions, Loans & Hardships (Movement of Account Funds After Separation from Service) for an overview of options after separation from employment.

Faculty and Staff Tuition Assistance

A change in employment status during an academic term could impact your eligibility for continued tuition assistance.  If your employment status changes due to retirement; disability separation under OPERS, STRS, or the university’s Alternative Retirement Plan; or a reduction in force, you will continue to be eligible to participate for the remainder of the academic term.  In the event of any other change in employment status that impacts your eligibility, the tuition assistance benefit will cease immediately, and you will be responsible for paying the full tuition for the academic term in which such change in employment status occurs.  Learn more about Faculty and Staff Tuition Assistance.

Dependent Tuition Assistance

Under certain circumstances, a dependent of an eligible employee can still use the tuition benefit if the eligible employee is no longer employed by the university. Outside of those circumstances, listed on the Dependent Tuition Assistance page, dependent tuition assistance will cease immediately after the academic term in which the change in employment status occurs. If a dependent is the eligible dependent of two employees and one of those employees’ FTE falls below 50% for any reason, the tuition assistance benefit will decrease from 75% to 50% for the academic term following the change in employment. Learn more about Dependent Tuition Assistance.

Long-Term Disability (LTD) Coverage Conversion

If you have been covered for at least 12 consecutive months and your employment ends, you may be eligible to convert LTD to an individual policy. You must apply for conversion coverage within 31 days of losing group coverage and you may be required to provide medical evidence of insurability.

To apply for coverage:

  1. Complete the employee portion of the conversion coverage form and fax or e-mail the completed form to Integrated Absence Management and Vocational Services.
  2. Employer section will be completed by Integrated Absence Management and Vocational Services and faxed to Unum for continued processing.

Please contact Unum at (800) 421-0344 with additional questions or to check the status of your application.

Vacation and Sick Leave Payouts

Payment for unused accrued vacation is made at time of termination according to the terms of the Paid Leave Programs, Policy 6.27. No payment is made for unused accrued sick leave at termination, although your accumulated sick leave can be transferred to the State of Ohio or any of its political subdivisions and remains on record for 10 years.

Employees who retire from active service with Ohio State with 10 or more years of state service are paid one-fourth the unused accrued sick leave balance up to a maximum of 240 hours. See Preparing to Retire for additional information.

[top of page]


If you participate in the pre-tax parking program and have a CampusParc parking pass, you must return it to CampusParc and cancel your participation in the program. Until you do so, you will be considered an active participate and charged a permit fee.

[top of page]

Unemployment Compensation Resources

Unemployment compensation is wage replacement for individuals who have lost a job, are temporarily furloughed, or are partially unemployed due to lack of work. The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) determines your eligibility for benefits.

You should apply as soon as you become unemployed. Usually, individuals file during the first calendar week after losing a job. Weekly benefits are not paid retroactively (the sooner you file, the sooner you may be eligible for benefits). You may use the tools for Ohio State employees below to help estimate your unemployment application and weekly claim filing timeline, or your wages for partially worked weeks.

If you have a disability and experience difficulty accessing the Unemployment Assistance Application, please call the Accessibility Helpline at 614-292-5000.

Unemployment Assistance Tools (opens in new window)

Applying online is the quickest way to start receiving unemployment benefits. To apply online, go to unemployment.ohio.gov. A step-by-step guide to applying online is also available. If you don’t have access to a computer, you can apply by phone by calling 877-644-6562. Call center hours have been extended to Monday through Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sundays 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Please remember that The Ohio State University does not have any oversight of this process and cannot submit your application for you.

Visit ODJFS’ Helpful Resources and Frequently Asked Questions to find out what information you need to apply, or get answers to other questions you may have. A guide to filing your continued weekly claims related to COVID-19 is also available.

[top of page]


The Ohio State University provides a severance program combining working notice and severance pay periods to ensure consistent economic support for eligible staff whose positions are eliminated. The severance program is designed to provide financial support during a period of employment transition. See Policy 2.40, Staff Severance Program, for more information.

[top of page]