Leaves of Absence - Human Resources at Ohio State

Leaves of Absence

Ohio State recognizes that there may be a time when you need to be away from work for an extended period. Your total rewards package includes leaves of absence for multiple purposes. The types of extended paid and unpaid leaves of absence for eligible employees are explained in policies listed at the bottom of this page.

Download ToolsDownload Tools

Detailed Information

To apply for a leave of absence, notify your manager and your department’s HR Professional. Leave approval is at the department’s discretion. You can apply for leave by entering an eLeave request, if applicable, or completing an Application for Leave. Upon approval of the leave, your department HR Professional enters the start and end dates of your leave of absence in the HR system.

If you change your address while on leave, make sure you understand the impact on your medical benefits. An address change can impact your medical plan eligibility, particularly if your new address is outside of Ohio. If you temporarily reside outside of Ohio for 30 or more consecutive days, you may want to consider enrolling in the temporary Out-of-Area Plan. See more information on address changes.

Paid Leave

Your benefits continue when you are on a paid leave of absence. Your employee contributions are deducted from your pay, as usual.

Unpaid Leave

While on an unpaid leave of absence, you have the option within the first 30 days of your leave to continue your benefits or to waive them.  At the start of your leave, please complete the Benefit Continuation During Unpaid Leave Election form to indicate your choice. If you elect to continue your benefits during an unpaid leave, you will be billed monthly for the employee premium cost of your benefits. Coverage will stop if you do not make payment by the due date. If you elect to stop your benefits during an unpaid leave, you have 30 days from the date you return to work to elect benefits.  If you elect to discontinue your Voluntary Group Term Life Insurance or Short-Term Disability Insurance coverage during an unpaid leave, Evidence of Insurability (EOI) may be required to resume your coverage upon return from leave.

University-Paid Benefits

The university continues to pay for your Group Term Life Insurance and Long-Term Disability coverage when you are on a paid or unpaid leave of absence. Tuition Assistance for Dependents will continue as long as you are active in an eligible appointment.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

You are not permitted to contribute to a Dependent Care FSA during a leave of absence; however you may continue to contribute to a Health Care FSA on an after-tax basis. When you return from leave, your dependent care FSA deductions in your paycheck will be recalculated based on the number of pays remaining in the calendar year.


During an unpaid leave, neither you nor the university makes contributions towards your retirement. See the Faculty Professional Leave and Military Leave policies for special retirement features of these policies.

Other Deductions During Leave

For questions regarding other paycheck deductions during leave, such as parking and union dues, contact CampusParc and your union.

If you need to take leave for your own serious health condition or to care for an immediate family member experiencing a serious health condition, you may be eligible for Family and Medical Leave.

A faculty member on an approved Professional Leave of Absence who is a member of the State Teachers Retirement System (STRS) is required to complete the STRS Notification of Professional Leave of Absence form. Faculty who contribute to the Alternative Retirement Plan are not eligible to adjust their retirement contribution level during their leave.

Ohio State faculty and staff who are members of the Ohio organized militia or other reserve components of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio National Guard, are entitled to a leave of absence without loss of pay for the time spent performing service in the uniformed services for periods of up to one month for each calendar year.