FAQ - Human Resources at Ohio State


Select a category to view more frequently asked questions about that category.

Filter By Category×
  • Benefits
  • Services


Who processes our medical plan claims?×

Medical claims should be submitted to Trustmark at:

P.O. Box 2310
Mt. Clemens, MI 48046

Where can I check to see if my doctor is part of OSU's statewide network?×

You can search for network plan providers at OSU Health Plan Member Search or by calling OSU Health Plan at 800-678-6269.

How can I obtain medical care outside of Ohio?×

Services in the U.S. (outside Ohio) are provided by Zelis

Medical Care Referrals
If you need to see a doctor, visit a clinic or be admitted to a hospital, Zelis will refer you to the appropriate medical provider. Prior authorization (see osuhealthplan.com benefit-plan-information) from OSU Health Plan may be required. If you have a medical emergency that requires immediate medical assistance, please dial 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. You should also notify OSU Health Plan if a medical provider is seen.

Note: Calls outside the hours of operation for Zelis will automatically be forward to, and serviced by, Redpoint.

Advantages of Using Zelis Participating Providers
If you use a Zelis participating provider (see the back of the Ohio State Travel Assistance card), the provider is typically contracted at a negotiated rate which can reduce your out-of-pocket expenses. Participating providers will submit claims to your medical plan, saving you paperwork. In addition, participating providers have been screened and credentialed.

Zelis does not:

  • Provide referral services within the state of Ohio or outside the United States
  • Administer plan benefits
  • Determine eligibility
  • Pay expenses for medical care
  • Practice medicine or diagnose medical conditions
  • Represent the quality of medical care that you will receive
  • Provide direct control or direction over medical providers’ practices

See more about Ohio State Travel Assistance.

When can I change from one medical plan to another?×

You may change your medical plan election during Open Enrollment or in connection with certain qualified status changes including loss of other coverage for you or your eligible dependents or gaining a dependent as a result of marriage, birth, adoption or placement for adoption. In addition, a medical plan change can be made when an employee has a change in employment which results in a medical plan contribution tier change, such as changing from part-time to full-time or vice versa. See Life Events for more information.

When will I receive a medical identification card?×

After you complete the medical plan enrollment process at Workday, a medical identification card will be mailed to your home address from Trustmark. You should expect to receive your card approximately two weeks after you enroll.

To request additional identification cards, go to the Trustmark Self Service site or call Trustmark at 866-442-8257.

If you need a temporary identification card, please go to the Trustmark Self Service site or contact HR Connection at 614-247-myHR (6947) for assistance.

Prescription Drugs

What is the cost for my prescription drug coverage?×

Prescription drug coverage is included in all Ohio State medical plans. The rates for medical coverage can be found on the Prescription Drug Program Summary Chart.

Will I get a separate prescription card?×

There is no physical member ID card for your prescription drug plan. You have access to an electronic ID card which is available on the ESI website and mobile app. To register for an online account, visit express-scripts.com.

When you download the Express Scripts mobile app in Apple iTunes or Google Play, you can use the same username and password as your online account. The mobile app allows you to access your ID card, check the status of your prescriptions, order refills and find your nearest preferred pharmacy.  If you prefer a paper card, you have the option to print a card from the website.

How can I find out if my drug is covered?×

See the Prescription Drug Formulary Guide. Here you will also find the list of medications requiring prior authorization and a link to the Express Scripts Pricing tool.

Does the Prescription Drug Plan have an annual out-of-pocket maximum?×

The Prescription Drug Plan, VBD and Specialty Plans have a combined deductible and annual out-of-pocket maximum. Refer to the Prescription Drug Plan Summary Chart.


Who is our Dental benefit vendor?×

Delta Dental provides network coverage through Delta Dental PPO and Delta Dental Premier. The OSU Student Dental Clinic is in the Delta Dental PPO network. You can find network dentists online through the Delta Dental website.

What is the member ID for my (and my dependents) coverage?×

The OSU Employee ID is to be utilized for this purpose since it is a number with which you should already be familiar. Delta Dental’s system requires a 9-digit identification number for eligibility and claims processing; therefore, if you have a:

  • 8-digit OSU Employee ID – your Delta Dental ID is your Employee ID with a leading zero added to it.
  • 9-digit OSU Employee ID – your Delta Dental ID is your Employee ID with no changes.
Will I receive a dental plan card in the mail?×

Dental cards are not required for services. If you would like to obtain a dental card for services, you can print one through the Consumer Toolkit.

How many routine cleanings are we eligible for in a plan year?×

Each enrolled member and their dependents may have two regular cleanings and exams in the plan year. Two additional cleanings will be covered when medically necessary. (Two additional cleanings per benefit year are considered medically necessary for individuals with at-risk conditions such as documented periodontal disease, diabetes, kidney failure, organ or bone marrow transplant recipient, and for individuals receiving dialysis, chemotherapy, radiation treatment, or are HIV positive.)

How are other services paid?×

Coverage is dependent on the provider’s network affiliation and the dental service received. Please refer to the Dental Plan Summary Chart and the Dental Plan Summary Plan Description for details.


Who is our Vision Plan Vendor?×

Vision Service Plan (VSP) is The Ohio State University’s Vision Plan vendor. The VSP website offers members the opportunity to manage their vision plan benefit through a secure, online account. From this site, members may view vision benefit eligibility for the current plan year, locate network providers, and view their member history.

You can create your account at www.vsp.com. Click “Create an Account” and follow the on-screen prompts to complete your registration.

Will I receive a vision plan card?×

No, a vision card is not required for service. Tell your provider that you have the Vision Service Plan. Visit the VSP website to register for an account and log in. There you can print a “Member Reference Card” if you prefer to have one, but it’s not necessary when seeing a network provider.

Who will have access to my online account?×

The primary cardholder is responsible for managing the account for him/herself as well as for all covered dependents.

What is the difference in coverage between the Basic and Premier plans?×

With the VSP Basic plan, frames are covered ever other calendar year; with the VSP Premier plan, frames are covered every year. There are also differences in the maximum allowance paid under the two plans for frames and contact lenses. EasyOptions is only available under the VSP Premier plan.

For additional information on plan differences and premium amounts, see the Vision Plan Benefit Summary.

Employer-Paid Deductions

What are the employer-paid deductions?×

Employer deductions represent the portion paid by Ohio State towards the cost of employees health coverage (medical, dental and vision), group term life insurance, long-term disability and retirement contributions.

How do these deductions impact my pay?×

There is no impact to your take-home pay. These amounts are for informational purposes only.

Retirement Programs

What are my Retirement Program Choices?×

All Ohio State faculty and staff and required to participate in the Ohio state retirement system. The state provides retirement through 2 systems:

  • OPERS is the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System for staff.
  • STRS is the State Teachers Retirement System for faculty.

An additional option for eligible faculty and staff who hold a full-time position of 75% FTE or more is the Ohio State University Alternative Retirement Plan (ARP).

What is the deadline for enrolling in OPERS/STRS or the ARP Plan?×

If eligible, you have 120 days from, and including, the effective date of your eligible appointment to make your irrevocable election and enroll in the ARP or OPERS/STRS. The Office of Human Resources must receive your completed Retirement Program Election form by close of business on the last business day before the 120th day.

If you elect or default to OPERS/STRS, you have an additional 60 days to complete the OPERS/STRS paperwork and make a selection between their three plans.

What do I need to do to enroll in the ARP?×

If you elect the ARP, you must choose and contact an ARP provider and complete the required account forms. Your ARP election is not completed until you have enrolled with your chosen ARP provider. Then you must complete and submit the Retirement Program Election form and submit to the Office of Human Resources no later than noon on the last business day before your 120th day.

I haven’t elected a Retirement Plan yet, but I have an OPERS/STRS deduction on my paycheck?×

Retirement contributions will be sent to either OPERS or STRS (based on your appointment classification) until an election between the appropriate state system and the ARP. If ARP is elected, contributions as of your ARP eligibility date will be transferred automatically to your chosen ARP provider by OPERS/STRS.

What is the OPERS or STRS Mitigating Rate?×

When the Alternative Retirement Plan (ARP) was put in place in 1999, the law was written to allow for a mitigating rate. The mitigating rate is a required percentage of the employer contribution that is used to pay for the unfunded liability associated with the pension plan. By law, the mitigating rate can fluctuate. The university contributes the full employer rate, however a portion is sent to OPERS/STRS, as applicable, and the remainder to your ARP account. The mitigating rate helps ensure the long-term viability of the retirement system.

Why does my account balance in the OPERS or STRS plan not reflect the contribution amount seen on my paycheck?×

The employee contribution is vested immediately in the OPERS and STRS defined benefit plan and put into an individual retirement account. The employer contribution is put towards the defined benefit pension plan to help fund the future benefit and is not reflected on your account statement. Your benefit at retirement is based upon a formula which includes your age and years of service.

Supplement Retirement Accounts

What is a Supplemental Retirement Plan?×

A Supplemental Retirement Account (SRA) allows you the opportunity to contribute to an additional retirement account. There are two types of SRAs—Deferred Compensation Programs (457(b) plans) and Tax-Deferred Accounts 403(b). SRAs allow you to enhance your mandatory retirement plan savings through voluntary pre-tax contributions.

Can I contribute to both types of accounts?×

Yes, there is no coordination between the 403(b) and 457(b) plans. Employees can contribute the maximum amount to both.

When can I change my SRA elections?×

Visit Fidelity’s Master Administrator website to enroll or update your 403(b) and/or 457(b) elections.

Note: Ohio Deferred Compensation enrollments and payroll contribution changes must be made directly with ODC at ohio457.org.

Does Ohio State contribute toward my SRA account?×

The university does not make contributions to your SRA.

What are catch-up amounts?×

Under certain circumstances, you may qualify through either SRA plan for the “catch up” contribution provision. Catch-up contributions are amounts you may contribute in excess of the annual plan contribution limits. If you have already contributed the maximum amount(s) under the plan(s) and you are at least age 50, you may make additional contributions, which are limited based on federal guidelines. If contributing to a 457(b) account at Ohio Deferred Compensation (ODC), you may be eligible to contribute an additional amount under the IRS Special Catch-up provision.

Your SRA provider will calculate and inform you of your maximum contribution level, including catch-up contributions, based on federal guidelines for the applicable calendar year.

What investment options are offered for the SRA?×

Each provider offers a variety of options in which you may elect to invest your contributions. You assume the investment risk; all earnings and losses accrue to your account. You assume the cost for any management fees associated with your investments, which may vary from provider to provider.

Can I have access to my SRA while employed at Ohio State?×

Contact your provider for information on the availability of your funds while actively employed and after termination or retirement. There are important tax issues associated with how and when you receive your benefits. Consult with your tax advisor or SRA provider for additional information.


How do I sign up for Short Term Disability (STD)?×

You may enroll in STD within 30 days of employment or an eligible status change via Workday.

If you wish to apply for coverage outside of your initial enrollment or eligible status change periods, you may apply and complete the medical Evidence of Insurability form on the Unum website. The coverage dependent on approval by Unum.

How will the STD benefit affect my taxes?×

The premiums for STD are deducted from your pay on an after-tax basis. If you receive STD benefit payments, the payments may be taxable income. Consult your tax advisor for additional information.

When can I cancel my enrollment in STD?×

You may cancel your enrollment in STD during an open enrollment period which will be effective on January 1 of the new plan year.

You may also cancel your enrollment in STD due to an eligible status change. You must change your enrollment via Workday within 30 days of the qualifying life event. Birth of a child is not considered a qualifying life event for purposes of dropping STD coverage.

Who do I contact about disability claims?×

Contact Unum to file your short-term or long-term disability claim.

Leaves of Absence

How much will I pay to continue my benefits while on an unpaid leave of absence?×

While on an unpaid leave of absence, you are responsible for paying the entire cost of the benefits, also known as the full-cost rate. To see the rate that you will be billed, refer to the Medical Plan Rates chart, and look for monthly or biweekly full cost rates.

How do I apply for leave?×

All employees should request leaves of absence and monitor leave balances in Workday (see detailed instructions for requesting leaves of absence).

Where can I obtain additional information?×

For types of leaves or your eligibility for leave, use the following resources:

Flexible Spending Account

What is a Flexible Spending Account?×

An FSA allows you to pay for eligible health care and/or dependent care expenses through pre-tax payroll deductions. When enrolling, you determine how much money you want to contribute to each account for the plan year. The money is then withheld from your pay on a pre-tax basis. You will be reimbursed from the account as you incur eligible expenses and submit claims for them.

There are two types of Flexible Spending Accounts you may elect:

How do I enroll or make changes to my FSA?×

Participation is voluntary and employees must enroll during open enrollment, within 30 days of employment in an eligible appointment, or within 30 days of a qualified status change, as described in “Limitations on Changes to an FSA” in the FSA Specific Plan Details.

How do I file a claim for my FSA?×

You can file a claim on paper, from your computer, from your smartphone, or by using your Health Care Debit Card. For more information, see Flexible Spending Account.

How can I obtain an additional Health Care Debit Card?×

To obtain an additional TASC Card, go to Workday and click “My FSA/HRA” under Benefits. Click “TASC Wallet” and follow prompts.

How can I access my account using my smartphone or tablet?×

You can access your account online or by using the mobile app. For more information, see Flexible Spending Account or contact TASC at (855) 353-9678. Our employer code is FLXOSU.

Life Insurance

How is a life insurance claim filed?×

See Death of an Employee and Survivorship or Death of a Dependent for information on filing a claim.

How do I apply for Group Term Life Insurance (GTLI)?×

No application is required for enrollment in Ohio State’s GTLI; however, you must designate your beneficiary.

How will the GTLI benefit affect my taxes?×

Under section 79 of the Internal Revenue Code, the university is required to report the imputed cost of any employer-provided life insurance benefit that exceeds $50,000. The imputed cost is calculated using the IRS Premium Table. You can view the IRS Premium Table and information on group term life insurance in IRS publication 15-B.

If you wish to avoid this additional taxable income, you may waive GTLI by completing a Group Term Life Insurance Waiver form. To enroll in GTLI at a later date, medical Evidence of Insurability (EOI) approval by Minnesota Life will be required. Consult your tax advisor or the IRS for additional information about the taxability of life insurance benefits.

How do I change my GTLI beneficiary designation?×

You may change your beneficiaries anytime in Workday.

How can I request coverage for Voluntary Group Term Life Insurance (VGTLI)?×

You may request coverage at any time via Workday. However, you may enroll for a certain amount of insurance with Evidence of Insurability (EOI) within 30 days of the initial eligibility period or qualifying status change. If you apply for coverage outside the initial eligibility period coverage and may be subject to Evidence of Insurability (EOI). The coverage is effective upon approval by Minnesota Life.

Tuition Assistance Program - Faculty and Staff

Am I eligible for employee tuition assistance?×

To be eligible for the employee tuition assistance program, you must be in an eligible appointment of at least 75% FTE or more. Eligible appointments include regular appointments of faculty, unclassified staff, classified civil service staff, associated faculty and term appointments of clinical instructor house staff.

You must be employed in the eligible appointment on the first day of the term for which the benefit is applied. You must continue to work in an eligible appointment throughout the entire academic term, including the entire last week of classes of the term for which the benefit is applied.

Is tuition assistance applicable for schools other than Ohio State?×

No. The tuition assistance benefit applies to courses taken at Ohio State only.

How do I apply for the tuition benefit?×

Prior to receiving the benefit, you must be admitted to the university through either the Admissions Office or the Office of Extended Education. You may enroll in undergraduate, graduate, or professional degree-granting programs upon meeting the university’s admission requirements. Contact Buckeye Link or Extended Education for assistance.

After the Office of the University Bursar verifies your eligibility information, the tuition assistance benefit will reflect as a credit against the fees assessed for that academic term on your fee statement.

I have received the tuition benefit, why do I still have a balance on my student account?×

Tuition assistance pays the Instructional, General and non-Ohio resident fees only, up to $9,640 per semester. (This maximum amount is subject to change.) The program does not cover application, registration, late or other fees. You are responsible for the difference between the approved tuition assistance benefit and the total fees associated with taking courses at Ohio State. Please see the Faculty and Staff Tuition Assistance Program Guidelines for more information.

Is there a limit on the number of classes I can take?×

Policy 2.35, Enrollment in Credit Programs, limits coursework to 10 credit hours per academic term. However, employees may request a program exception to the credit hour maximum if the academic department has an established curriculum that requires students to enroll in a specific number of hours per academic term in a lock-step fashion. See HR Policy 2.35 for additional information on program exceptions.

I dropped my class and now I owe the balance for the class. What happened to my tuition credit?×

If you drop a class after the date to receive a full refund, the tuition credit is removed and you are responsible for the amount due for the class.

However, the program will pay a forfeiture charge for one term during your employment. After using this one-time waiver, any future forfeiture charges for withdrawing from class will be your responsibility. Please contact HR Connection to request the One Time Exception form.

Tuition Assistance Program - Dependent

Am I eligible to request tuition assistance for my dependent?×

In order to be eligible for dependent tuition assistance, a faculty or staff member must hold an eligible appointment of at least 50% FTE on the first day of the academic term to which the benefit applies. An eligible appointment is a regular or term appointment of faculty, senior administrative and professional staff, administrative and professional staff, classified civil service staff, associated faculty, visiting faculty or clinical instructor house staff.

Is my dependent eligible to participate in the program?×

The following individuals are eligible to participate in the Plan if they have been admitted to the university through either the admissions office (undergraduate, graduate and professional) or the Office of Distance Education and eLearning:

  • An eligible employee’s legal spouse
  • An eligible employee’s unmarried child. For this purpose, “child” means (1) a biological child of the eligible employee, (2) a step-child of the eligible employee, (3) an adopted child of the eligible employee (or a child who has been legally placed with the eligible employee for adoption), and (4) a foster child of the eligible employee who has lived with the employee for at least five years.

See Dependent Tuition Assistance Program Guidelines for more information.

How do I apply for the dependent tuition benefit?×

To enroll in the Plan for an academic term, an eligible employee should go to Workday and follow steps below to complete online application for that term for each dependent.

  1. Click Benefits from the home page.
  2. Under the Change section, click Benefits.
  3. Click Tuition Assistance Enrollment option from the drop down menu.
  4. Enter today’s date in the Benefit Event Date field, click Submit and follow remaining steps to complete enrollment.
What is the deadline for enrolling for the dependent tuition benefit?×

See the Dependent Tuition Assistance Enrollment Schedule for deadlines for each academic term.

How much is the dependent tuition benefit?×

The benefit is based on the student’s fee schedule. The program covers 50% of the dependent’s Instructional and General Fees only, up to a maximum of $4,820 per semester. There is a maximum benefit of 8 semesters or 140 credit hours, whichever is greater. See the Dependent Tuition Assistance Program Guidelines for more details about the benefit.

My spouse and I both work at Ohio State. Can we both apply for the dependent tuition benefits for our child?×

For an eligible dependent of two Ohio State employees, the program covers 75% of the dependent’s Instructional and General Fees, up to a maximum of $7,230 per semester. There is a maximum benefit of eight semesters or 140 credit hours, whichever is greater. See the Dependent Tuition Assistance Program Guidelines for more details about the benefit.

Adoption Assistance

What is the Adoption Assistance Program?×

The university reimburses up to $5,000 per child for eligible adoption related expenses upon placement of a minor child in your home.

What if my spouse/partner also is an employee at Ohio State? Are there dual benefits?×

No. The maximum benefit per adopted child is $5,000.

Can I add (enroll) my adopted child to my health benefits?×

Yes, upon adoption or placement of the child in your home, you may add the child to your university benefit plans. You must enroll the child within 30 days of the placement or adoption date using Workday. After you have enrolled your child, you will receive a dependent verification packet from ACS HR Solutions, and you are required to verify your child’s eligibility for coverage.

How do I request reimbursement for my adoption expenses?×

You will need to complete an Adoption Assistance Reimbursement Request Form with proof of expenses and a copy of the adoption placement certificate or final adoption decree. If you have adoption paperwork in another language, it must be translated to English before you submit it to our office for reimbursement. This is a taxable benefit – consult your tax advisor with any questions.

Employment Verification

Can anyone who calls get my personal information?×

The verifier needs your Social Security number to view basic information such as employment period at The Ohio State University and job title. Any additional information, such as your salary or gross earnings, is protected by a salary key that only you can authorize.

What is a salary key and how do I get one?×

A salary key is a six-digit code that an employee gives a verifier to authorize that verifier with one-time access to his income information on The Work Number for Everyone®. Ohio State faculty and staff can obtain a salary key by logging in to www.theworknumber.com, selecting “I’m an Employee” and following the prompts or calling (800) 367-2884. If you are locked out and the PIN reset does not work, the employee can contact The Work Number at (866) 678-3729, enter the Ohio State ID number and press 0 as the PIN.

What types of verification are available on The Work Number?×

Three types of verifications are available from The Work Number:

  • Employment (Employment Verification)
  • Employment and Income (Employment Plus Income Verification)
  • Public Assistance (Social Service Verification)

In addition, an individual can print their own personal Employment Data Report.

How much does it cost?×

There is no charge to Ohio State employees for a verification or salary key. There is, however, a charge to non-social service agency verifiers. If a verifier charges you as an Ohio State employee for a verification, please have your receipt available and call The Work Number Client Service Center at (800) 996-7566 for assistance.

Is The Work Number the only way lenders can verify my employment?×

Yes. Written requests for verifications are not be processed and are returned to your verifier with instructions on how to use this service.

What if my verifier will not use The Work Number?×

Verifiers who will not use The Work Number may accept another form of proof:

Who can I call with questions?×

The Work Number/TALX customer service is available to you Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time at (800) 996-7566.

Form I-9

Who should complete a Form I-9?×

All employees hired on or after November 7, 1986.

How soon after employment begins should the Form I-9 be completed?×

Section 1 can be completed before employment (only after an offer of employment has been accepted) or no later than the first day of employment. Forms I-9 must be fully completed within three business days after the employee begins working for pay.

For example, if the employee began working on Monday then the Form I-9 must be completed by Thursday.

I have an employee who was hired before November 7, 1986 and therefore the Form I-9 was not completed. This employee retired and came back after November 7, 1986. Does the employee need to complete a Form I-9?×

Yes, Form I-9 is required for all employees hired after November 7, 1986, including employees who were hired before that date, left and came back. On the other hand, anyone who was hired before November 7, 1986 with no break in service, does not need to complete a Form I-9.

Do I need to fill out a Form I-9 for student employees?×

Yes. A Form I-9 is required for all employees, including student employees.

My employee left the University for a short time and came back (rehire). I still have their original Form I-9. Does the employee need to fill out a new Form I-9?×

You can use the original completed Form I-9 for up to three years from the date it was originally completed by completing Section 3. Additionally, make sure to check Section 2 for any expired documents on the originally completed Form I-9. Alternatively, a new Form I-9 can be filled out for rehired employees.

How long do I have to keep Forms I-9 for terminated employees? What is the Form I-9 retention schedule?×

Ohio State’s Form I-9 retention scheduled dictates that we must retain the Form I-9 for three years after the date of termination. For example, if an employee was hired on January 1, 2008, and was terminated on March 1, 2009, we would have to retain the Form I-9 until March 1, 2012. This schedule differs from the information within the USCIS Handbook for Employers due to the OnBase module. All electronic and paper Form I-9s should follow the General Records Retention Schedule.

Is a new Form I-9 required for an employee who changes their name as a result of marriage or divorce?×

It is not required to update or complete a new Form I-9 when an employee has a legal change of name.

If an employee decides to change his or her name on their Form I-9, the original Form I-9 can be updated using Section 3 to reflect the name change. Alternatively, a new Form I-9 can be filled out for when an individual changes their name. The new Form I-9 should be retained and stored with the original Form I-9.

I have an employee who lives and works outside of the United States. Do I need to complete a Form I-9 for this employee?×

The Form I-9 is not required for employees working outside of the United States for the University. Employees working outside the United States are also exempt from E-Verify.

Do employees need to provide their Social Security Number on the Form I-9?×

While the Social Security Number is typically voluntary on the Form I-9, it is mandatory for E-Verify participants. Therefore, it is mandatory for employees to provide their Social Security Number on the Form I-9.

My employee does not have a Social Security Number. How do we complete the Form I-9 and submit to E-Verify?×

The employee and unit should still complete Section 1 and Section 2 of the Form I-9 but leave the SSN field in Section 1 blank. Employees are also still allowed to work without a SSN. Advise the employee that they should visit a local Social Security Administration (SSA) office to apply for a SSN and return to their HR department once they obtain their Social Security card. When the employee returns to update their Form I-9, only then should the employee write their SSN in Section 1, initial and date next to the field. The unit can then submit to E-Verify.

What should we do with Form I-9s for terminated employees who did not have a Social Security Number (SSN) at the time of hire and/or never updated their Form I-9 to reflect that they obtained a SSN?×

The unit should attach a note to the Form I-9 explaining why the SSN was never entered and follow the Form I-9 retention schedule. Do not submit to E-Verify.

What documents am I required to photocopy?×

All documents presented by an employee to complete Section 2 and Section 3 of the Form I-9 should be photocopied and retained with the completed Form I-9. Photocopies follow the same retention schedule of the Form I-9.

What is the proper way to store Form I-9s?×

Store Forms I-9s centrally, together in one file, as opposed to individual personnel files.

I-9 Database (19Db)

What is the I-9 Database (I9Db)?×

The I-9 Database (I9Db) is a university web-based application that captures employee information from the Form I-9. The I9Db sends Form I-9 information to the Department of Homeland Security’s E-Verify website to complete employment eligibility and verification.

How do I log in to the I9Db?×

If you have been granted access to the I9Db, please log in to the I9Db by using your name.# username and password.

How do I know or keep track of which Forms I-9 to submit to E-Verify through the I9Db?×

When you log in to the I9Db, you will see a roster of individuals whom you have access to and responsibility for. Any individual on that list with a status of “Not Submitted” will require a Form I-9 to be submitted to E-Verify.

Once I have entered my employee’s Form I-9 information into the I9Db, can I destroy the paper Form I-9?×

We must retain Forms I-9 for either three years after the date of hire or one year after the date of termination, whichever is later.


What is E-Verify?×

E-Verify is an Internet-based system that compares information from an employee’s Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, to data from U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) records to confirm employment eligibility.

What are the benefits of using E-Verify?×
  • Reduces unauthorized employment
  • Verification results are returned within seconds
  • E-Verify includes data to confirm the citizenship status of naturalized U.S. citizens
  • Photo Screening Tool to detect identify theft
  • Participation provides the extension of optional practical training for foreign students in F-1 nonimmigrant status
  • Speed and accuracy
Which employees will Ohio State submit Form I-9 information to E-Verify?×

All current and active employees hired on or after November 7, 1986.

Who is responsible for submitting data to E-Verify?×

HR professionals who completed Section 2 of the Form I-9 and have I9Db access to submit to E-Verify.

Does the completion of the Form I-9 three business day rule also apply to E-Verify submission?×

An E-Verify case is considered late if submission happens later than the third business day after the employee’s first day of employment.

What are the steps to submit an employee to E-Verify if they do not yet have a Social Security Number?×

For employees who do not yet have a Social Security Number, their Form I-9 information cannot run through E-Verify. Therefore, they do not have to be entered into the I9Db until a permanent Social Security Number is issued. Units should complete the Form I-9 process with the employee and wait to enter the Form I-9 information into the I9DB. Once the employee receives his or her Social Security Number, the unit should enter the Form I-9 information into I9Db and submit to E-Verify.

My employee was already verified through E-Verify with a previous employer. Does the E-Verify query need to be initiated again?×

An employee’s previous employment authorization through E-Verify from another employer does not satisfy the current employer’s obligation to use E-Verify once an employee has been hired.

What are the possible responses to an E-Verify submission?×
  • Employment Authorization: For those employees whose work authorization status can be verified immediately (i.e. whose SSA record matched and confirms U.S. citizenship), the process ends here with a confirmation response returned to the employer through the system within seconds.
  • Tentative Nonconfirmation: In the remaining small minority of cases, the system issues a Tentative Non-confirmation (TNC). A TNC does not necessarily mean that the employee is not authorized to work in the United States. Common issues resulting in a TNC include typographical errors, Social Security cards reflecting maiden vs. married names, providing an incorrect immigration status (permanent residences vs. alien authorized to work).
Who is responsible for resolving and contacting employees about TNCs?×

The Office of Human Resources will contact employees and provide employees with necessary steps necessary to contest and resolve their TNC. HR Professionals from the employing unit may be called upon to assist.

Where can I find more information about E-Verify?×

Visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify for more information about E-Verify.

No results were found.