COVID-19 - Human Resources at Ohio State
As faculty and staff are impacted during the COVID-19 crisis, the Office of Human Resources offers resources and information for working through this unprecedented time.
This page will be updated as additional information becomes available.
Ohio State has implemented a hiring pause to assess impacts due to the COVID-19 state of emergency. The pause applies to most faculty, staff and student positions with exceptions noted below.
No new positions should be created during the hiring pause. Until further notice, any hiring should focus on maintaining adequate staffing levels in these essential service areas:
- Law enforcement and public safety
- Hospitals and health services
- Child care for children of parents performing essential services to the university and medical center
- Limited meal preparation and service
- Facility utilities
- Residential support
- Others determined to be essential by the university
This hiring pause applies to all executive departments and units regardless of the sources of their operational and programmatic funding, excluding the Ohio State Wexner Medical Center.
The hiring pause does not overrule collective bargaining agreements.
Exceptions to the hiring pause
In addition to the list above, exceptions to the hiring pause include, but are not limited to:
- Key faculty positions (including those of graduate teaching assistants) starting in spring 2021.
- Key research positions (including graduate students, post-doctoral researchers and research technicians) starting in spring 2021.
- Positions related to COVID-19 efforts.
Deans and members of President’s Cabinet may also exempt any positions that are deemed necessary to meet medical center, public safety and critical operating functions of the university to maintain levels of service for our students and patients.
In addition, the Office of Human Resources in collaboration with the Office of the Chief Financial Officer may grant limited exceptions from this pause where the circumstances warrant it.
New Hire Services
For the exceptions described above, the Office of Human Resources is managing the in-person aspects of new-hire paperwork, background checks and Form I-9’s through a centralized process and by appointment only. Other services include the following:
- Technology services for employees who will telework upon starting:
- If the college or unit is a MITS Customer, continue to utilize ServiceNow and instead of a face to face set-up of a new employee’s computer, the hiring manager will call IT Service Desk at 614-688-4357 to schedule curb-side pickup of the computer. A remote meeting will then be scheduled to help the new employee get started.
- If college or unit is not MITS Customer: please contact your local IT department.
- To schedule a BCI/FBI fingerprint background check for an Ohio State Wexner Medical Center candidate (located within Rhoads Hall at 410 W 10th Ave), please visit the medical center’s scheduling tool or contact the Background Check Team at HR‐BackgroundChecks@osu.edu
- To schedule a BCI/FBI fingerprint background check for a campus candidate (located at the Gateway C Building at 1590 N. High Street), please contact the Background Check Team at HR‐BackgroundChecks@osu.edu