Ohio State Travel Assistance - Human Resources at Ohio State
Ohio State Travel Assistance
Staying healthy while traveling and getting care when far from home are a part of the total rewards of working at Ohio State. Any individual enrolled in one of the university-sponsored medical plans automatically has access to Ohio State Travel Assistance services at no cost to enrollees.
Ohio State Travel Assistance Details
- Medical/prescription identification card, so that a doctor or hospital can verify your medical coverage. Note: Medical care providers are not required to accept your insurance coverage and generally do not outside the United States.
- Ohio State Travel Assistance Card for 24-hour medical assistance.
- Extra eyewear, if you wear corrective lenses, take two sets of glasses or contacts with you if possible.
- Prescription medication, if you are taking prescription drugs, be sure to have enough to last for the entire trip. If you are enrolled in an Ohio State medical/prescription drug plan and need an authorization to obtain an extra refill before traveling, contact OSU Health Plan at (614) 292-4700.
- You are responsible for any out-of-pocket expenses such as deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance in accordance with your medical plan provisions. Ohio State’s network medical plans provide benefits for emergency and urgent care only outside Ohio.
- If you do not have university-provided medical coverage, you should verify coverage through your insurance company.
- If you are required to pay for services, request an itemized bill or receipt that describes the services provided.
Services in the U.S. (outside Ohio) are provided by Zelis
Medical Care Referrals
If you need to see a doctor, visit a clinic or be admitted to a hospital, Zelis will refer you to the appropriate medical provider. Prior authorization (see osuhealthplan.com benefit-plan-information) from OSU Health Plan may be required. If you have a medical emergency that requires immediate medical assistance, please dial 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. You should also notify OSU Health Plan if a medical provider is seen.
Note: Calls outside the hours of operation for Zelis will automatically be forward to, and serviced by, Redpoint.
Advantages of Using Zelis Participating Providers
If you use a Zelis participating provider (see the back of the Ohio State Travel Assistance card), the provider is typically contracted at a negotiated rate which can reduce your out-of-pocket expenses. Participating providers will submit claims to your medical plan, saving you paperwork. In addition, participating providers have been screened and credentialed.
Zelis does not:
- Provide referral services within the state of Ohio or outside the United States
- Administer plan benefits
- Determine eligibility
- Pay expenses for medical care
- Practice medicine or diagnose medical conditions
- Represent the quality of medical care that you will receive
- Provide direct control or direction over medical providers’ practices
Services outside the U.S. are provided by Redpoint.
24-hour Access to Medical Professionals
When you contact Redpoint, you will receive direct and immediate access to medical and security experts. Operating with medical advisory support from world-class physicians, Redpoint delivers services and features from basic to unique emergency travel services.
Additional Services Include (but are not limited to):
- Medical evacuation
- Transportation to the nearest appropriate medical center
- Medically necessary repatriation
- Mortal remains repatriation
- Assistance recovering lost or stolen luggage, medications, eyeglasses, wallets or other important documents
- ID theft assistance while traveling
- Dental, legal and bail bond referrals
- Emergency message relay and counseling
- Online pre-trip resources; security and crime alerts, political instability alerts, passport and visa information
This is intended to be an overview. Refer to the Plan Document for complete information. In the event the information on these pages differs from the Plan Document, the Plan Document will govern.