Health Plan Enrollment - Human Resources at Ohio State
Health Plan Enrollment
Ohio State is committed to being a healthy workplace for all faculty and staff. Helping you to be your healthiest is good for everyone: you, your family, your colleagues, and the university.
There are certain opportunities to participate in Ohio State’s health plans. The following information relates to enrollment in the university’s medical, dental and vision plans.
Enrollment can occur:
- Within 31 days of employment in an eligible appointment
- Within 31 days of a qualifying status change
- During an annual Open Enrollment period
For additional details, see the Benefits Overview Book.
- Go to Employee Self Service. You will need your Ohio State username (last name.#), password and your BuckeyePass1 authentication to log in. Forgot your user name or password? Visit ocio.osu.edu/KB00040 for information on how to recover you user name or reset your password.
- Click Benefits Enrollment under the eBenefits header to review and make your benefit elections.
- Click Authorize & Submit as the final action for your elections to be saved.
- Review and print your confirmation statement and keep a copy for your records.
Kiosks for online enrollment are available in the 3rd floor lobby of the Office of Human Resources located at 1590 North High St., Suite 300. Walk-in hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Computers available to Office of Administration and Planning staff are in the following locations:
- Aronoff Laboratory, 318 West 12th Ave., Room 019
- Maintenance Building, 2000 Tuttle Park Place, Rooms 201, 204B and 027
- Biological Sciences Building, 484 West 12th Ave., Room 141
- McCracken Power Plant, 304 Annie & John Glenn Ave., Room 111
1 BuckeyePass is a second layer of authentication for your Ohio State account. Read more at buckeyepass.osu.edu.
Enroll with Paper Forms
You can determine dependent eligibility via the Dependent Eligibility Requirements page.
For medical, dental and vision benefits, choose one of four coverage levels:
- Employee only
- Employee + child(ren)
- Employee + spouse or eligible same-sex domestic partner
- Family (employee + spouse or eligible same-sex domestic partner + one or more dependents)
Your benefits will be effective on the date of your eligible appointment or on the date of a qualifying status change, if you enroll within 31 days of the event. Annual Open Enrollment elections are effective January 1 of the new plan year.
If you or a dependent experience a qualifying status change, you have 31 days to make a change to your benefits coverage. If you miss this deadline, your next opportunity to change your benefits coverage will be during the next annual Open Enrollment period.
eBenefits in Employee Self Service can be used to change benefits elections due to certain status changes, including marriage, divorce, termination of an eligible same-sex domestic partner relationship, birth, adoption/legal guardianship or gain or loss of other coverage. Forms will still be required for enrollment changes due to all other life events.
Under IRS rules, you are prohibited from dropping, adding or changing health plan coverage levels during the plan year unless a qualifying status change occurs. Visit Life Events for a complete list of qualifying status changes and information on how to make changes to your benefits.
This is intended to be an overview. Refer to the Plan Document for complete information. In the event the information on these pages differs from the Plan Document, the Plan Document will govern.