Distinguished Staff Awards - Human Resources at Ohio State
Distinguished Staff Awards
The Distinguished Staff Award annually honors staff members for their outstanding achievements, service, leadership and dedication to The Ohio State University. The Distinguished Staff Award is the highest honor bestowed upon staff at the university since its inception in 1984.
Twelve individuals are chosen to receive a $1,500 cash award and plaque.
One individual is recognized with the Presidential Staff Award, a special distinction within the Distinguished Staff Award that recognizes one recipient who demonstrates university values, as well a commitment to diversity, community engagement, affordable education and access for all students. The selected recipient receives a cash award of $2,500, a personalized trophy and other recognition activities sponsored by Human Resources and University Staff Advisory Committee (USAC). The Presidential Staff Award was created in partnership with the USAC in recognition of Dr. Michael V. Drake, the 15th President of The Ohio State University. President Drake demonstrated a deep commitment to Ohio State staff, and his legacy was built on establishing these attributes as university priorities.
Nominations for the Distinguished Staff Awards are accepted annually. Nominations are accepted by submitting the required materials outlined in the nomination form by the annual deadline, which will be announced later this year.
Recipients are honored at an annual event and 12 recipients receive a $1,500 cash award and plaque.
One individual is recognized with the Dr. Michael V. Drake Staff Award, a special award category within the Distinguished Staff Award that recognizes one recipient who demonstrates university values, as well a commitment to diversity, community engagement, affordable education and access for all students. The selected recipient receives a cash award of $2,500 and a personalized trophy. The award was created in conjunction with the University Staff Advisory Committee (USAC) in honor of Dr. Michael V. Drake, the 15th President of The Ohio State University. President Drake demonstrated a deep commitment to Ohio State staff, and his legacy was built on establishing these attributes as university priorities.
All part-time and full-time staff with a minimum of five years of continuous service at Ohio State in a regular non-faculty position may be nominated. Previous recipients of the Distinguished Staff Award are ineligible for nomination.
Award recipients will be selected on the merits and strengths of the following contributions:
- Enhancing the quality of work life in ways that make a significant difference for colleagues or customers.
- Providing outstanding and ongoing excellence in service to faculty, staff, students, community, and/or other customers.
- Developing creative solutions to problems that result in significantly more effective and efficient department or university operations.
- Consistent demonstration of one or more of the university’s values: Excellence, Collaborating as One University, Acting with Integrity and Personal Accountability, Openness and Trust, Diversity in People and Ideas, Change and Innovation, Simplicity in Our Work, Empathy and Compassion, and Leadership.
Nominations for the Distinguished Diversity Enhancement Awards are accepted annually by submitting the following materials:
- Nomination Form: Complete the nominating form.
- Nominating Statement:A nominating statement citing specific accomplishments and services of the nominee (double spaced/three pages maximum).
- Supporting Material: No more than three letters. Letters of support should represent the diverse group of colleagues/customers (faculty, staff, students, or other individuals) who have personal knowledge of and who have benefited from the nominee’s services.
The nominating statement and letters of support should include specific examples of the contributions the nominee has made.
Congratulations to all past recipients of the Distinguished Staff Award. Thank you for your dedication and contributions to the university. Read more about their achievements and the impact they are making below.