Employee and Labor Relations
Employee and Labor Relations consultants assist with individual questions, conflicts, and issues that arise in the workplace. We work closely with administrators, managers, and human resource professionals to understand the unique needs and objectives of the colleges and units they serve. Consultants advise and interpret policies, procedures, labor contracts, and key federal and state regulations.
Our core services include:
- Conflict Resolution – Assist in resolving problems and conflicts before they escalate to formal grievances or corrective action and facilitate informal mediations.
- Corrective Action Administration – Serve as impartial hearing officers in matters involving corrective action, employee grievances and resolutions of dispute.
- Investigations – Perform objective and thorough investigations of employee complaints and grievances in the areas of discrimination, sexual harassment and workplace violence.
- Labor Relations – Administer and interpret the collective bargaining agreement, facilitate problem resolution and work to enhance the collective bargaining process. We also provide guidance to the university related to labor union activities.
- Performance Management – Assist managers and human resource professionals in establishing performance expectations and accountability to ensure productive employees and work environments.
- Policy Interpretation – Provide guidance and development on university policies and procedures.
- Risk Management – Provide guidance on key employment practices and laws to ensure a healthy work environment and reduce likelihood of litigation.
Our consulting approach integrates our core areas of expertise working collaboratively through a team-based approach to deliver proactive, strategic consulting.
In collaboration with the Employee and Labor Relations consultant, your HR Assistant can assist you with the following questions regarding:
- General policy/bargaining unit contract questions
- Scheduling corrective action hearings/2nd level grievance meetings
- Cancelling or rescheduling a corrective action hearings/grievance meetings