Health Care Flex Card
Your Health Care Flex Card offers easy access to the funds in your Health Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Your Health Care Flex Card eliminates the need to file a claim. Swipe your card at the point of service; in most cases, this is all you need to do, but you may be asked for receipts, so be sure to save them.
In many ways, your card works like a debit card. There are three important differences:
- Its use is limited to specific merchants for FSA eligible expenses.
- It cannot be used at an ATM, or to obtain "cash back" when making a purchase.
- If a merchant requires a PIN, you can obtain your PIN by logging onto your account, clicking on Card Status page, then clicking View PIN. You will see the PIN for all cards associated with your account, including dependents.
Here are answers to a few common questions:
- What's an eligible expense? Eligible expenses may include deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance; eye exams, contact lenses, and glasses; prescription drugs; and dental care including orthodontia. You also can use your Health Care Flex Card for over-the-counter (OTC) products with a physician's prescription. Expenses that are ineligible include cosmetic procedures including teeth whitening, toiletries, and OTC products without a prescription. Review a complete list of eligible and ineligible products and services.
- Where can I use my Health Care Flex Card? Your Health Care Flex Card can be used at many locations, including medical providers (i.e. doctors, dentists, vision care facilities), merchants (i.e. discount stores, groceries, pharmacies) that utilize an Inventory Information Approval System (IIAS), and merchants without an IIAS system who sell prescriptions or qualified OTC products. In this case, you will be required to submit receipts.
- What if I make a mistake? If you realize you used your card for an ineligible expense, call 855-FLEX-OSU (353-9678) as soon as you become aware of the mistake. Representatives will tell you how to reimburse your account for the ineligible item. If your Health Care Flex Card does not work or the full amount is not approved, it is most likely because all or some of your items are ineligible. If you are purchasing items that are not eligible, the store clerk will ask for another form of payment for those items.
- What if there's not enough money in my account? In most cases, the transaction will be denied. Pay for the product or service yourself, and submit the receipt and claim form. You'll then be reimbursed for any eligible expenses with whatever is left in your account. In some cases, the merchant is able to accept less than the requested amount and will authorize up to your account balance. You can use another form of payment for the balance.
- Do I need to save my receipts? Yes. Save all your itemized receipts. Some expenses require additional information in order to comply with IRS rules. If you do not supply documentation when requested, the expenses will be considered ineligible and you'll have to reimburse your account. Your card may be inactive until your account is reimbursed. Promptly provide documentation when requested so you can use your card without interruption.