Benefits Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a category below to read FAQs.


Who processes our medical plan claims?

Medical claims should be submitted to CoreSource at:

P.O. Box 2310
Mt. Clemens, MI 48046

Where can I check to see if my doctor is part of OSU's statewide network?

You can search for network plan providers at OSU Health Plan Member Search or by calling OSU Health Plan at 800-678-6269.

When can I change from one medical plan to another?

You may change your medical plan election during Open Enrollment.

When will I receive a medical plan identification card?

Medical Card ImageAfter you have completed the medical plan enrollment process with the Office of Human Resources, a medical/prescription drug identification card will be mailed to your home address from CoreSource. You should expect to receive your card approximately three weeks after you enroll. To request additional identification cards, go to the CoreSource Self Service site or call CoreSource at 866-442-8257.

top of page


Who is our Dental benefit vendor?

Delta Dental of Ohio is The Ohio State University's dental provider. Delta Dental provides in-network coverage through Delta Dental PPO and Delta Dental Premier. The OSU Student Dental Clinic is in the Delta Dental PPO network. You can find an in-network dentist online through the Consumer Toolkit.

What is the member ID for my (and my dependents) coverage?

Previously, your Social Security number was the only means to identify you as a Delta Dental enrollee. Delta Dental's systems allows an alternate means of identification. The OSU Employee ID is to be utilized for this purpose since it is a number with which you should already be familiar.

Delta Dental's system requires a 9-digit alternative identification number for eligibility and claims processing; therefore, if you have a:

  • 8-digit OSU Employee ID – your Delta Dental ID is your Employee ID with a leading zero added to it.
  • 9-digit OSU Employee ID – your Delta Dental ID is your Employee ID with no changes.

Will I receive a dental plan card in the mail?

Dental cards are not required for services. If you wish to attain a dental card for services, you can print one on Delta Dental's web site.

How many routine cleanings are we eligible for in a plan year?

Each enrolled member and their dependents may have two regular cleanings and exams in the plan year. Two additional cleanings will be covered when medically necessary. (Two additional cleanings per benefit year are considered medically necessary for individuals with at-risk conditions such as documented periodontal disease, diabetes, kidney failure, organ or bone marrow transplant recipient, and for individuals receiving dialysis, chemotherapy, radiation treatment, or are HIV positive.)

How are other services paid?

Coverage is dependent on the service provider and what dental service is required by the patient. Please refer to the Dental Plan Benefits Summary and the Dental Plan Summary Plan Description for details.

top of page


Who is our Vision Plan Vendor?

Vision Service Plan (VSP) is The Ohio State University's Vision Plan vendor. The VSP web site offers members the opportunity to manage their vision plan benefit through a secure, online account. Members may view vision benefit eligibility for the current plan year, locate network eye doctors and view their member history.

You can create your account at Click "Create an Account" and follow the on-screen prompts to complete your registration.

Will I receive a vision plan card?

You will not receive a vision plan card in the mail. Tell your provider that you have the Vision Service Plan. Visit the VSP website to register for an account and log in. There you can print a "Member Reference Card" if you prefer to have one, but it's not necessary when seeing a network eye doctor.

Who will have access to my online account?

The primary cardholder is responsible for managing the account for him/her as well as for all covered dependents.

top of page

Employer Paid Deductions

What are the employer paid deductions?

Employer deductions represent the portion paid by Ohio State towards the cost of employees health coverage (medical, dental and vision), group term life insurance, long-term disability and retirement contributions.

Are these new employer paid deductions?

Ohio State has always contributed significantly to benefit costs for employees, this is the first time those amounts are being reflected on the pay advice.

How do these deductions impact my pay?

There is no impact to your take-home pay. These details are for informational purposes only.

Why is the Group Term Life Insurance (GTLI) taxable?

The GTLI benefit is 2.5 times your annual salary. If the value of that coverage is greater than $50,000, employees are required to pay tax on the value of coverage above $50,000. This deduction has been listed on pay advices previously.

What is the OPERS or STRS Mitigating Rate?

When the Alternative Retirement Plan (ARP) was put in place in 1999, the law was written to allow for a mitigating rate. The mitigating rate is a required percentage of the employer contribution that is used to pay for the unfunded liability associated with the pension plan. By law, the mitigating rate can fluctuate. The university contributes the full employer rate, however a portion is sent to OPERS/STRS, as applicable, and the remainder to your ARP account. The mitigating rate helps ensure the long-term viability of the retirement system.

Why does my account balance in the OPERS or STRS plan not reflect the contribution amount seen on my paycheck?

The employee contribution is vested immediately in the OPERS and STRS defined benefit plan and put into an individual retirement account. The employer contribution is put towards the defined benefit pension plan to help fund the future benefit and is not reflected on your account statement. Your benefit at retirement is based upon a formula which includes your age and years of service.

My before-tax contributions previously said Public Employees Retirement or State Teachers Retirement. Now it says OPERS or STRS. What changed?

Your retirement plan has not changed. The display on the paycheck was updated to OPERS and STRS to accurately reflect the retirement system names.

top of page

Adoption Assistance

What is the Adoption Assistance Program?

The university reimburses up to $5,000 per child for eligible adoption related expenses upon placement of a minor child in your home.

What if my spouse/partner also is an employee at Ohio State? Are there dual benefits?

No, the maximum benefit per adopted child is $5,000.

Can I add (enroll) my adopted child to my health benefits?

Yes, upon placement of a child in your home or the finalization of the adoption, you may add the child to your university benefit plans. You should enroll within 31 days of the final adoption date. After you have enrolled your eligible dependents, a dependent verification packet from ACS HR Solutions will be mailed to your home address. All health plan members must provide proof of each covered dependent's eligibility. Required documentation will include applicable information from recent federal tax return, copies of birth certificates, marriage certificates, affidavits of same-sex domestic partnership or sponsored dependency, proof of joint ownership, etc. Failure to provide required documentation will result in coverage termination for the dependent(s) not certified.

How do I request reimbursement for my adoption expenses?

You will need to complete an Adoption Assistance Reimbursement Request Form with proof of expenses and a copy of the adoption placement certificate or final adoption decree. If you have adoption paperwork in another language, it must be translated to English before you submit it to our office for reimbursement. This is a taxable benefit – consult your tax advisor with any questions.

top of page

Flexible Spending Accounts

What is a Flexible Spending Account?

A flexible spending account (FSA) allows you to reimburse yourself (with your own money) for eligible Health Care and/or Dependent Care expenses – tax free. By participating in these accounts, you do not pay federal, state, or city taxes on the money you contribute. Participation is voluntary and employees must sign up during open enrollment. Ohio State's FSA are administered by TASC.

There are two types of Flexible Spending Accounts you may elect:

  • Health Care Flexible Spending Account (HC FSA) – used to reimburse you for out-of-pocket health care expenses, including prescription medications for you and your eligible dependents. Review a complete list of eligible and ineligible expenses.
  • Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DC FSA) – used to reimburse you for out-of pocket expenses for dependent care expenses, whether for a child or an elder. This includes expenses for someone else to care for your dependent (under the age of 13 for dependent children) so you may work. Examples of potentially eligible DC-FSA expenses include:

How do I access my account?

For information on filing a claim, reimbursement, and managing your account please access these FAQs

top of page

Supplemental Retirement Accounts

What is a Supplemental Retirement Plan?

A Supplemental Retirement account (SRA) allows you the opportunity to contribute to an additional retirement account. There are two types of SRAs—Deferred Compensation Programs (457(b) plans) and Tax-Deferred Accounts 403(b) and 403(b)7 plans. SRAs allow you to enhance your mandatory retirement plan savings through voluntary pre-tax contributions.

When can I change my SRA elections?

You may change your SRA contribution amount and/or your SRA provider at any time. Your existing SRA account balance may remain with your previous provider, or any portion may be transferred to the new provider. (Applicable transfer fees may apply).

What are catch-up amounts?

Under certain circumstances, you may qualify through either SRA plan for the “catch up” contribution provision. Catch-up contributions are amounts you may contribute in excess of the annual plan contribution limits. If you have already contributed the maximum amount(s) under the plan(s) and you are at least age 50, you may make additional contributions, which are limited based on federal guidelines.

Your SRA provider will calculate and inform you of your maximum contribution level, including catch-up contributions, based on federal guidelines for the applicable calendar year

What investment options are offered for the SRA?

Each provider offers a variety of options in which you may elect to invest your contributions. You assume the investment risk; all earnings and losses accrue to your account. You assume the cost for any management fees associated with your investments, which may vary from provider to provider.

Can I have access to my SRA while employed at Ohio State?

Contact your provider for information on the availability of your funds while actively employed and after termination or retirement. There are important tax issues associated with how and when you receive your benefits. Consult with your tax advisor or SRA provider for additional information.

top of page

Life Insurance

How is a life insurance claim filed?

Death of an Employee | Death of a Dependent

How do I apply for Group Term Life Insurance (GTLI)?

No application is required for enrollment in Ohio State's GTLI; however, you must designate your beneficiary.

How will the GTLI benefit affect my taxes?

Under section 79 of the Internal Revenue Code, the university is required to report the imputed cost of any employer-provided life insurance benefit that exceeds $50,000. You can waive all life insurance coverage that exceeds $50,000 by completing a Waiver of Entitlement form. Consult your tax advisor for more information.

How do I change my GTLI beneficiary designation?

You may change your beneficiaries anytime.

How can I request coverage for Dependent Group Term Life Insurance (DGTLI) or Voluntary Group Term Life Insurance (VGTLI)?

You may request coverage at anytime. Coverage may be subject to Evidence of Insurability (EOI) and is effective upon approval by Minnesota Life.

top of page


How do I sign up for Short Term Disability (STD)?

You may enroll in STD within 31 days of employment or an eligible status change. Otherwise, you may apply at any time by providing a completed medical Evidence of Insurability form. The decision is made by Unum.

How will the STD benefit affect my taxes?

The premiums for STD are deducted from your pay on an after-tax basis. However, if you receive STD benefit payments, it may be taxable income. Consult your tax advisor if you have questions.

When can I cancel my enrollment in STD?

You may cancel your enrollment in STD during an open enrollment period which will be effective on January 1 of the new plan year.

You may also cancel your enrollment in STD due to an eligible status change. You must change your enrollment within 31 days of the qualifying life event. Birth of a child is not considered a qualifying life event for purposes of dropping STD coverage.

Who do I contact about disability claims?

Contact Unum to file your LTD/STD claim.

top of page


How do I continue my benefits while on a leave?

To continue your benefits while on a leave of absence, either paid or unpaid, you should review the Continuing Benefits While on Leave and complete the Benefit Continuation on Unpaid Leave form in the back of this booklet and return it to the Office of Human Resources. You should also complete the Application for Leave, which should be returned to your supervisor.

How much will I pay to continue my benefits while on an unpaid leave of absence?

Biweekly benefit funding rates | Monthly benefit funding rates

How do I apply for leave?

Complete and submit an Application for Leave to your supervisor for approval. You can view your leave balances online at or contact your departmental human resource contact.

Where can I obtain additional information?

Your questions regarding types of leaves or your eligibility for leave can be answered by:

  • Visiting the Leaves Program page, or
  • contacting your Labor/Employee Relations consultant, who you can locate by visiting, or
  • calling 614-292-2800 or 800-678-6010

Your questions regarding benefits while on leave can be answered by:

top of page