Workers' Compensation

Income replacement due to a work place (occupational) injury or disease that affects your ability to perform your job. Learn more about what to do if you are injured at work.

If you are unsure whether or not you are eligible for this benefit, go to Benefit Eligibility.

Workers' Comp Self-insurance

As of January 1, 2013, The Ohio State University shifted from a state-funded to a self-insured workers' compensation program. The Self-Injury Reporting Packet contains information about the claims filing process, and a list of providers.


CareWorks Consultants Inc. will house all of The Ohio State University's Self-Insured workers' compensation files. To request a copy of your file, you may contact CareWorks Consultants Inc. at 888-647-3815 or fax your request to 614-495-5161.

Date of Injury Claim Filing Process Payment of Compensation and Billing

On or Before 12/31/2012

  • Medical Only and Lost Time claims must be filed with Ohio BWC by completing a First Report of Injury (FROI) form.
  • CareWorks is the University's Managed Care Organization. All medical bills must be sent to CareWorks.
  • Ohio BWC will issue all compensation payments to faculty, staff and student employees.

On or After

  • Medical Only claims must be filed with CareWorks Consultants, Inc. (CCI) by completing an Employee Accident Report and faxing to CCI.
  • Lost Time claims must be filed with CCI by completing a First Report of Injury (FROI) form. CCI will file all Lost Time claims with Ohio BWC.
  • Medical bills must be sent to and will be paid by CareWorks Consultants, Inc. (CCI).
  • All compensation (Temporary Total benefits) claim payments will be issued by CCI on behalf of The Ohio State University. Check will be issued bi-weekly.